Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fiber Series: Inulin

I first learned about inulin when I was eating a popular cereal that was high in fiber, protein, and whole grains. One of the reasons I look for cereals high in fiber is because it makes you feel fuller, longer.  (See our introduction post to this series for more information on other great health benefits from eating fiber!) However, I began to notice when I was eating this cereal that I wasn't getting full and was eating more then I usually would. So I pulled out my phone, opened up the fooducate app (check out our post - There's an app for that!), and scanned the bar code on the cereal box.  The cereal did not score as well as I would have thought.
Here is why:

The cereal contains inulin from the chicory root fiber. 

In many products that are marketed as high in fiber you will notice inulin is the main source of fiber. Inulin is increasingly being used in processed foods because it has adaptable characteristics, which means it mixes well with other ingredients without changing the flavor. Inulin is also slightly sweet which is why it is used in many cereals and fiber bars.

In some cases, the inulin found in these products has been processed and refined like high fructose corn syrup.  Eating fiber from processed food may cause flatulence, diarrhea, bloating, and stomach cramping (one website actually called inulin the "farting fiber").  Similar to other processed foods, processed inulin may not leave you feeling full for very long.

However... Inulin is found naturally in a wide variety of fruits and vegetables such as bananas, Jerusalem artichoke, asparagus, onions, and leeks. We suggest getting inulin through unprocessed foods, like fruits and vegetables, and be wary of processed foods that claim to be high in fiber.

0 comments:

Post a Comment