Thursday, January 10, 2013

Dresser Renovation & Creative Closet Space


This year, we moved into a home with about double the square footage of our previous two bedroom apartment.  We needed lots of furniture to fill all the extra space! 

Unfortunately, the closet space is minimal and there was no way my clothes were going to fit in the one small closet in our bedroom.  Since we have an extra (small) bedroom, we decided to use it as my closet (yay!) (we would also like to be able to use it as a guest bedroom by putting in a small pull-out sofa, but that's on hold for now).  

Tom found this dresser set at an estate sale two doors down from our house.  Let's just say I wasn't crazy about the dressers, but I didn't have anything else to put my clothes in when we moved and it was cheap. So, we decided to get them knowing we would have to do something to update the set. 

Once we took them home, I pulled all the drawers out and cleaned the dressers.


 

Next, I primed both dressers with oil-based white paint.  Wear gloves and keep your windows open!!!

  

Then I got a little lazy and bought a few cans of white spray paint, brought the primed drawers and handles outside, and spray painted.



I painted the base of the dressers with white paint we use on the woodwork. 


The finished products! I'm so happy with how they came out...



I have had this jewelry box and jewelry tree for a while but wanted to update them to better match my new room :)   I got a little crazy with the spray paint, bought some black and spray painted both.  I taped the glass part of the jewelry box with blue painters tape. 

They came out great and go perfectly in the room: 


Since the closet in the extra bedroom is super tiny as well we also decided to install a closet organizer on one of the walls in the room.  We found a wood organizer on groupon, cut it to the appropriate size, and spray painted (of course) all of the parts white.  Tom, my dad, and I (sort of) installed the organizer on the wall.  It gives me a ton of space for hanging clothes and my shoes! 


Now we just need that pull-out sofa and curtains!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment